Safety is a shared responsibility for all road users, to ensure pedestrian, bicyclist, and motorist safety. In an effort to “Keep Corpus Christi Safe,” we are asking the community to place a high priority in traveling safely to prevent accident related fatality tragedies.
The Corpus Christi Police Department encourages pedestrians, motorists, and cyclists to follow these Safety Tips:
- Before crossing a roadway, stop, look, listen, and think before crossing the road.
- Pedestrians, never assume the motorist has seen you and will stop for you. If a driver is on a cell phone, they may not be paying enough attention to drive safely.
- Always cross at a pedestrian marked cross walk or at a traffic signal light.
- Be seen. At night wear light-colored clothing and cross in a well-lit area.
- Stand clear of buses, hedges, parked cars or other obstacles before crossing so drivers can see you.
- Always walk on the sidewalk; if there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic.
- Obey traffic signals such as WALK/DON’T WALK signs.
- Ride with the traffic flow
- Obey all traffic laws
- Bicycles must have a front and rear light
- Wear light clothing and reflective vest, especially at night
- Pay attention at all times
- Look both ways before turning
- Lookout for parked cars in case of
Motorists are encouraged to always be aware of your surroundings, be alert, patient, and watch for pedestrians and cyclist at all times.
- Scan the road and the sides of the road ahead for potential pedestrians.
- Before making a turn, look in all directions for pedestrians crossing.
- Don’t drive distracted or after consuming alcohol or other drugs. Do not use your cell phone while driving.
- Never pass/overtake a vehicle that is stopped for pedestrians.
- Obey speed limits and come to a complete stop at a STOP sign.
- Use extra caution when driving near children playing along the street, or older pedestrians who may not see or hear you.
- Always be prepared to stop for pedestrians or take immediate evasive actions to prevent a serious accident.